Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Putting Lazy Susans to Work

I am not sure how the Lazy Susan got its name.  I googled it and found different stories about its origin.  If it was invented by a woman named Susan that didn't want to ask others to pass things to her from across the table, I wouldn't call Susan lazy, I'd call her a genius.  We all know that it can be awkward butting into a conversation to ask for more food or a condiment.  I guess "Genius Susan" doesn't have the same ring to it.  

Lazy Susans come in various sizes and are most commonly found on dinner tables.  When I traveled throughout China, a big glass Lazy Susan was commonly found on the table to help accommodate our family style meals.  The ones that I have seen in the U.S. on dinner tables tend to be much smaller and hold ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, and maybe some napkins.  The Lazy Susans in Auer home aren't on the top of any table.  I use them in on shelves in closets and cupboards.  

In the Bathroom Closet

In the Kitchen Cupboard
I am far from being the first person to come up with this idea.  When I first saw it, I didn't like the idea because of all of the empty space left on the shelf.  Therefore, I started with two in the bathroom, since I thought that the idea might have merit.  I used one for personal hygiene stuff and the other for hair styling products.  What I loved about using them was that I didn't knock things over as I had when I reached for stuff at the back of the shelf.  It was also easier to see what I had.  They made it easier for kids to see and reach for what they need, so I added two more: one for mouthwashes and another for toothbrushes and toothpaste.  I liked them so much, I added some in the kitchen.  They work great on hard to reach shelves.  I am now a Lazy Susan convert. 

Lazy Susans come in various sizes and vary in price.  I have found that Bed, Bath, and Beyond has the most sizes to choose from and are reasonably priced.  Target has better quality ones, but I only found them in one size, and they were more expensive.

While on the topic of things that spin, I must give a shout out for Pampered Chef's Tool Turn-About.  
 
I grew up in a house that had all the large utensils in a drawer.  It made the drawer difficult to open and close, and it was even more difficult to find the utensil you where looking for.  I am big on keeping the counters clear to avoid clutter, but I definitely think that this is worth the space that it is taking up on my counter.  It makes it easy to find a wooden spoon or a spatela. 

No comments:

Post a Comment