Sunday, March 24, 2013

You're Not Just Moving Their Cheese

Change is difficult for many, even when it is for the better.  You may find that those that live with you resist your attempt to reorganize things in your home.  Old habits are hard to break and the usual way that things have been done brings comfort.  My reorganizing journey didn't come without a few bumps from my husband.  After all, I literally moved his cheese to a drawer in the fridge.  

To make things easier for those that live with you, here's a few words of wisdom to make the transition easier:
  •  Let those that live with you know that you will be reorganizing to improve your home and your lives.  I told my husband that I would be donating things, throwing some things away, and possibly finding new places for old things. 
  • Don't throw or donate others' belongings without their permission.  If you think that it should be gotten rid of, explain why.  For example, they don't use it, they have multiples, etc.  Listen to their rationale for keeping it.  Comprising is important. 
    • My husband started to trust my decisions and stopped going through everything.
    • For multiples of things, give them a concrete amount of space to use for those items or negotiate the number to keep.
    • If it is important to them, find a place for it.  After all, it is their home too.
  • After moving things, give the people you live with a "tour" of where you moved the various things.  You'll be excited to show off your hard work, and they will appreciate knowing where things belong in the house.  
  • Share your rationale for why you put things where you did.  Helping others understand the "why" works wonders.
  • Label things to give them reminders of where things go.  I even labeled the drawers in the refrigerator.  The labels don't need to be permanent. 
  • Be patient.  The new locations or ways of doing things will become old habits eventually.  
I knew my husband was proud of my hard work when I heard him bragging to his buddy about it.  He loves the improvements that were made.  I hope that your loved ones will appreciate your hard work too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment